The group at UniKL MICET is lead by Associate Professor Dr. Robert Bachmann and has been working on physico-chemical characterization of fresh and charred biomass since 2006--first for application in wastewater treatment and subsequently for applications to soil.They participate in collaborative projects and conduct in-house research on:
production and use of biochar for soil quality improvement
use of biochar for soil C sequestration
use of biochar for soil remediation
characterization of biochar
Funded Projects :
Biochar on acidic agricultural lands in South-East Asia: Sequestering carbon and improving crop yield (NorGlobal - Norway Global- Environment, Energy, and Climate). (2011-2014)
Fertilizer sorption/desorption study and performance-testing of biochar from oil palm plantation waste to improve soil fertility, biomass yield and mitigate global warming. (MPOB) (2010-2012)
Production and characterization of various biochars from oil palm plantation wastes. (MPOB) (2010-2012)
- Nur Diyana Johan, Nazratul Uyun Saedun, Sayang Evana Zainuddin, Norhayati Bte Mohamed Nor and Robert Thomas Bachmann won the Silver medal in Environmental Science category for the project titled “The use of banana (Musa sapientum) peel based activated carbon for methylene blue removal” at the 1st Asia-Pacific Conference for Young Scientists, 2-7 September 2012, in Palangka Raya, Indonesia. http://apcys.suryainstitute.org/content.php?cid=6&id=601
- Bronze medal awarded at National Research and Innovation Competition 2012 (NRIC) to Uwis Qurni, Mimi Asniza, Ranjan Kumar and Robert Thomas Bachmann at Universiti Sains Malaysia for “PV-Battery Hybrid System to Power Fan-Controlled Rice Husk Gasifier Cooking Stove”. NRIC competition was held in Penang / Malaysia from 16-20.7.2012.
- Imran Bin Bustan, Muhammad Rais Bin Ishak, Norhayati Bte Mohamed Nor and Robert Thomas Bachmann won two Gold awards for the project titled “The use of banana (Musa sapientum) peel based activated carbon for methylene blue removal” at the Malaysian International Young Inventor Olympiad (MIYIO) 2012 and 3rd International Engineering Invention & Innovation Exhibition (i-ENVEX 2012) held at UniMAP, 2020 Hall, Kangar, Perlis, Malaysia from 26-29th April 2012.
- Arasu A/L Uttran, winner of Best Poster Award (category Chemistry, Processing Technology and Bioenergy) for “Elucidation of Organic/Inorganic Fertilizer Interactions with Biochar from Oil Palm Plantation Waste” at MPOB International Palm Oil Congress 2011 (PIPOC 2011) held at Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, KL from 15-17 November 2011.
- One of 15 winners of SIFE Malaysia - CHARTIS Malaysia Special Competition on Risk Management 2011 with “Biochar project” entry. Award-giving ceremony held on 9 June 2011 at Sheraton Imperial Hotel, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Semi Silver medalist of Engineers without Borders India Green Award 2008 for BioChar for industrial wastewater treatment. Hyderabad, 15th March, 2008.