* All information is provided by CQA.
* All information is correct at the time of publication. UniKL reserves the right to make changes to the programmes offered and its content without prior notice. Programmes will be offered subject to MQA approval.
Diploma in Chemical Engineering Technology (Polymer)
Diploma Teknologi Kejuruteraan Kimia (Polimer)
Polymer technology can be described in brief as the manufacture, processing, analysis and application of long chain molecules. Materials that are typically classified as polymers include: plastics, paints, rubber, foams, adhesives, sealants, varnishes etc. Our daily life today is fully controlled by these materials that it is impossible to imagine life without these products. Industries that are totally dependent on polymers include information technology, aerospace, music, clothing, medical, motor manufacturing, building, packaging and many more.
The objective of the programme at UniKL MICET is to provide students with training in polymer technology at a semi-professional level. The programme covers the principles and operating of machines, characterization, instrumentation, fabrication processes and the compounding of polymeric materials. The course prepares students for a career in the polymer and related industries or, if already employed in the industry, to improve their effectiveness and career prospects. The course focuses on full integration of the theory and practice of polymer engineering which helps to develop experience and understanding of the practical aspects of polymer engineering essential for those with technological careers. The programme is designed to meet the educational needs of the graduates and professional students in order to provide lifelong learning opportunities in the study of polymeric materials; to assisting Malaysian industry in developing polymer technology and to develop knowledge based on polymeric materials and to disseminate this knowledge on a global basis. UniKL MICET provides the students with a multifaceted programme that bridges traditional academic disciplines. Our students will have outstanding educational and practical experiences tailored to individual needs and responsive to the ever-changing technological and scientific needs of society.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
UniKL graduates who are :
- PEO 1
UniKL graduates who are knowledgeable, competent and innovative which will contribute towards the requirement of the human capital in chemical and/or process/food/polymer/bioprocess/environment engineering technology related industry.
- PEO 2
UniKL graduates who are effective leaders with teamwork skills, as well as verbal and nonverbal interpersonal communication skills;
- PEO 3
UniKL graduates who are committed towards the importance of lifelong learning and continuous improvement;
- PEO 4
UniKL graduates who are professional, ethical, and socially responsible;
- PEO 5
UniKL graduates who are capable of embarking on business and technopreneurial activities
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
Majors in chemical engineering will be able to:
- PLO 1
Knowledge: Apply knowledge of applied mathematics, applied science, engineering fundamentals and an engineering specialisation as specified in DK1 to DK4 respectively to wide practical procedures and practices in chemical and process/food/polymer/bioprocess/environment engineering technology.
- PLO 2
Problem analysis: Identify and analyse well-defined engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using codified methods of analysis specific to their field of activity (DK1 to DK4).
- PLO 3
Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for well-defined technical problems and assist with the design of systems, components or processes to meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations (DK5).
- PLO 4
Investigation: Conduct investigations of well-defined problems; locate and search relevant codes and catalogues, conduct standard tests and measurements.
- PLO 5
Modern Tool Usage: Apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools to well-defined engineering problems, with an awareness of the limitations (DK6).
- PLO 6
The Engineer and Society: Demonstrate knowledge of the societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to engineering technician practice and solutions to well-defined engineering problems (DK7).
- PLO 7
Environment and Sustainability: Understand and evaluate the sustainability and impact of engineering technician work in the solution of well-defined engineering problems in societal and environmental contexts.
- PLO 8
Ethics: Understand and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of technician practice.
- PLO 9
Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member in diverse technical teams.
- PLO 10
Communications: Communicate effectively on well-defined engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, by being able to comprehend the work of others, document their own work, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PLO 11
Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering management principles, business practices, and technopreneurial competencies, as well as identify business opportunities, and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in
a technical team and to manage projects in multidisciplinary environments.
- PLO 12
Life Long Learning: Recognize the need for, and have the ability to engage in independent updating in the context of specialised technical knowledge.
- PLO 1
The skilled graduates can seek career in the upstream and downstream polymer industries such as the polymerization plants, petrochemical industries (Petronas) plastic industries, rubber industries, latex industries, composite industries, automotive industries, electronic industries, medical industries, pharmaceutical industries, aerospace industries, paint industries, textile industries etc. Graduates also had wide career advancement in area of design, consultation, R & D, education as well in research institutes such as RRI, SIRIM and MINT.
Some of the companies accepting Polymer Engineering Graduates are:
- Ansell Sdn. Bhd.
- Synthomer Sdn. Bhd,
- Bayer Material Science, Leverkusen, Germany
- Texchem (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Toray Plastics (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Drawbridge Technologies (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Silverstone Berhad
- M-Pol Rubber Products Sdn. Bhd.
- Teleflex Medical Sdn. Bhd.
- Guppy Plastics Industries Sdn. Bhd
- Titan Chemicals Corp. Berhad
- Synthomer Sdn. Bhd.
- SIRIM Berhad
- Intel Technology Sdn. Bhd.
- Motorola Sdn. Bhd.
- Western Digital (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Texas Instruments (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Infineon Technologies (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
- Sin Rubtech
- Gummi Metall Technik (M) Sdn. Bhd
- Kossan Rubber Industries Berhad
- Unisem Sdn. Bhd.
- Rubber Research Institute Malaysia (RRIM)
- Continental Tyre Malaysia
- Technical Mathematics I
- General Chemistry
- Engineering Graphic
- Foundation English
- Co-Curriculum I
- Islamic/Moral Studies
- Mandarin I
- Technical Mathematics II
- Organic Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Principle of Chemical Process
- Fluid Mechanics
- Communication English I
- Co-Curriculum II
- Malaysian Studies
- Bahasa Kebangsaan (A)
- Mandarin II
- Occupational Safety & Health
- Electrical Technology
- Process Instrumentation
- Transport Process
- Basic Engineering Workshop
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship
- Communication English II
- Technical Mathematics III
- Introduction to Polymer Science & Technology
- Rubber Processing
- Plastic Processing
- Reactor Technology
- Separation Technology
Final Year Project
Latex Science and Technology
- Industrial Training
- Pass SPM or its equivalent with at least credits in THREE (3) subjects, including Mathematics and ONE (1) relevant science / technical / vocational subject AND a pass in English; OR
- Pass Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM) or its equivalent with a pass in Mathematics, English and ONE (1) relevant science / technical / vocational subject at the SPM level; OR
- Recognised Certificate in Engineering / Engineering Technology or its equivalent; OR
- Recognised related Vocational and Technical / Skills Certificate or its equivalent with ONE (1) year of relevant work experience or a minimum of ONE (1) semester of a bridging programme.
For International students,
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 500 OR
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 5.0 OR its equivalent.
- If a student does not meet this requirement, HEPs must offer English proficiency courses to ensure that the student’s proficiency is sufficient to meet the needs of the programme. This is normally conducted through an assessment process.
JPT/BPP (R2/524/6/0036) 10/24, MQA A10855
January & July Only
UNIVERSITI KUALA LUMPUR
Branch Campus Malaysian Institute of Chemical & Bioengineering Technology (UniKL MICET)
Lot 1988, Kawasan Perindustrian Bandar Vendor, Taboh Naning,
78000 Alor Gajah, Melaka.
+606 – 551 2011
+606 – 551 2001
CONNECT WITH #uniklmicetofficial