* All information is provided by CQA.
* All information is correct at the time of publication. UniKL reserves the right to make changes to the programmes offered and its content without prior notice. Programmes will be offered subject to MQA approval.
Bachelor of Chemical Engineering Technology (Polymer) with Honours
Sarjana Muda Teknologi Kejuruteraan Kimia (Polimer) dengan Kepujian
Many countries throughout the world have or are developing a strong manufacturing base, producing a range of products including household goods, electrical, do-it yourself, and automobile components. They are considered as the most rapidly growing sector of the materials industry consequently increasing the number of people who work in this field.
Plastic and rubber, together with adhesives, resin and fibres, from a group material called polymers. Polymers have special properties which make them very useful in the modern world. The majority of polymers are derived from oil chemicals, although there are some naturally occurring polymers such as natural rubber and cellulose.
The manufacture of products from polymers requires a knowledge and understanding of a broad range of principles and technologies. For example, to make a product from plastic, one must choose which plastic to use from a very large range of plastics available, and then decide which processing method is suitable to produce the desired shaped product. Once these have been decided, it will often be necessary to design and make a mould for the products, and then ensure this mould functions effectively. This does not include the considerable expertise required to design the product in the first place to ensure maximum strength, ease of function and an aesthetic shape.
These engineers need to apply the traditional skills of chemical engineers, such as plant design, process design, thermodynamics, and transport phenomena, to the various problem involving the production and use of polymers. Many of the engineers currently working in the industry trying to solve these problems have the background in either chemical engineering or polymers. The Polymer Engineering Option in Chemical Engineering is designed to produce engineers with both sets of skills.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
UniKL graduates who are :
- PEO 1
UniKL graduates who are knowledgeable, competent and innovative which will contribute towards the requirement of the human capital in chemical and/or polymer engineering technology related industry
- PEO 2
UniKL graduates who are effective leaders with teamwork skills, as well as verbal and nonverbal interpersonal communication skills;
- PEO 3
UniKL graduates who are committed towards the importance of lifelong learning and continuous improvement;
- PEO 4
UniKL graduates who are professional, ethical, and socially responsible;
- PEO 5
UniKL graduates who are capable of embarking on business and technopreneurial activities.
Programme Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
Majors in chemical engineering will be able to:
- PLO 1
Knowledge: apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and chemical engineering technology (polymer) to defined and applied engineering procedures, processes, systems or methodologies; (SK1 to SK4)
- PLO 2
Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature and analyse broadly-defined chemical engineering technology (polymer) problems reaching substantiated conclusions using analytical tools appropriate to their discipline or area of
specialisation; (SK1 to SK4)
- PLO 3
Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for broadly-defined chemical engineering technology (polymer) problems and contribute to the design of systems, components or processes to meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations;
- PLO 4
Investigation: Conduct investigations of broadly-defined chemical engineering technology (polymer) problems; locate, search and select relevant data from codes, data bases and literature, design and conduct experiments to provide valid conclusions; (SK8)
- PLO 5
Modern Tool Usage: Select and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools, including prediction and modelling, to broadly-defined chemical engineering technology (polymer) problems, with an understanding of the limitations; (SK6)
- PLO 6
The Engineer and Society: Demonstrate understanding of the societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to engineering technology practice and solutions to broadly-defined chemical engineering technology (polymer) problems; (SK7)
- PLO 7
Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of engineering technology solutions of broadly-defined chemical engineering technology (polymer) problems in societal and environmental context and demonstrate knowledge of and need for sustainable development; (SK7)
- PLO 8
Ethics: Understand and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of engineering technology practice; (SK7)
- PLO 9
Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse technical teams;
- PLO 10
Communications: Communicate effectively on broadly-defined engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, by being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions;
- PLO 11
Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering management principles, business practices, and technopreneurial competencies, as well as identify business opportunities, and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team and to manage projects in multidisciplinary environments;
- PLO 12
Life Long Learning: Recognize the need for, and have the ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in specialist technologies.
- PEO 1
The skilled graduates can seek career in the upstream and downstream polymer industries such as the polymerization plants, petrochemical industries (Petronas) plastic industries, rubber industries, latex industries, composite industries, automotive industries, electronic industries, medical industries, pharmaceutical industries, aerospace industries, paint industries, textile industries etc. Graduates also had wide career advancement in area of design, consultation, R & D, education as well in research institutes such as RRI, SIRIM and MINT.
Some of the companies accepting Polymer Engineering Graduates are:
- Ansell Sdn. Bhd.
- Synthomer Sdn. Bhd,
- Bayer Material Science, Leverkusen, Germany
- Texchem (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Toray Plastics (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Drawbridge Technologies (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Silverstone Berhad
- M-Pol Rubber Products Sdn. Bhd.
- Teleflex Medical Sdn. Bhd.
- Guppy Plastics Industries Sdn. Bhd
- Titan Chemicals Corp. Berhad
- Synthomer Sdn. Bhd.
- SIRIM Berhad
- Intel Technology Sdn. Bhd.
- Motorola Sdn. Bhd.
- Western Digital (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Texas Instruments (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Infineon Technologies (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
- Sin Rubtech
- Gummi Metall Technik (M) Sdn. Bhd
- Kossan Rubber Industries Berhad
- Unisem Sdn. Bhd.
- Rubber Research Institute Malaysia (RRIM)
- Continental Tyre Malaysia
- Mathematic I
- Professional English I
- Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia
- Engineering Drawing and Computing
- Engineering Technologist in Society
- Foreign Language I
- Fundamental English I
- Physical Chemistry
- Mathematics II
- Engineering Design
- Hubungan Etnik
- Chemical Process Principles
- Fluid Mechanics
- Foreign Language II
- Fundamental of Electric and Electronics
- Introduction to Environmental Engineering Technology
- Analytical and Organic Chemistry
- Transport Process Principles
- Isu Isu Kotemporari Muslim di Malaysia
- Professional English II
- Introduction to Polymer Science and Technology
- Reaction Engineering
- Composite Technology
- Industrial Safety and Health
- Plastic Processing
- Polymer Synthesis
- Latex Technology
- Process Instrumentation and Control
- Polymer Rheology
- Rubber Technology
- Polymeric Material Design I
- Polymer Reaction Engineering
- Engineering Statistics
- Oil and Fat Process Technology
- FYP I
- Elective I
- Final Year Project (Implementation)
- Polymeric Material Design II
- Innovation Management
- Mould and Die Design
- Elective II
- Elective III
- Industrial Training
Local Students Fees – RM7,500
International Students Fees – RM 9,750 – 10,400
- Yayasan UniKL – Tengku Abdullah Scholarship Scheme / YU-TASS (formerly known as EGA Scheme) : for Master & PhD by Research only
- Work Study Scheme
- Other Financial Institutions
- Pass in STPM/Matriculation/Foundation or its equivalent, with minimum CGPA 2.0 and at least Grade C in Mathematics and one relevant Science subject; OR
- Pass in International Baccalaureate (IB) with at least 24 points; OR
- Pass in A-Level with minimum Grade D in Mathematics one (1) relevant Science subject; OR
- Pass in Sijil Tinggi Agama Malaysia (STAM) with minimum grade of Jayyid and pass SPM or its equivalent with minimum Grade C in Mathematics and one relevant Physical Science subjects (i.e; Physic, Chemistry & etc); OR
- Recognized Diploma in Engineering/Engineering Technology or its equivalent with CGPA 2.0; OR
- Recognized related Technical/Vocational/Skills Diploma with CGPA 2.0
- Pass Diploma Kemahiran Malaysia (DKM)/ Diploma Lanjutan Kemahiran Malaysia (DLKM)/ Diploma Vokasional Malaysia (DVM) with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 and the program must get Full Accreditation (FA) by MQA or others Accreditation bodies that had been recognized by government of Malaysia and according to approval by UniKL Senate
- Pass the DKM/DLKM/DVM with a minimum CGPA of 2.00 AND have at least two (2) years of work experience in the related field. The program must get Full Accreditation (FA) by MQA or others Accreditation bodies that had been recognized by government of Malaysia and according to approval by UniKL Senate;
UNIVERSITI KUALA LUMPUR
Branch Campus Malaysian Institute of Chemical & Bioengineering Technology (UniKL MICET)
Lot 1988, Kawasan Perindustrian Bandar Vendor, Taboh Naning,
78000 Alor Gajah, Melaka.
+606 – 551 2000
+606 – 551 2001
CONNECT WITH #uniklmicetofficial